This Blog chronicles the adventures of a mom, daughter and two dogs on a road trip throughout the Western US. The trick is - you get to help us decide where we go and what we do. Can you offer some suggestions?
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Day 1 – POP Goes the…Roof Rack
Well, DAY 1 STARTED OUT WITH A BANG- actually a blow up. No, we did not lose a tire, thank goodness, but we pop our lid, so to speak. We were actually only about 30 minutes from the house before we had our first brush with danger. We were driving on Interstate 10 near the wind farms in Riverside County when the “locked” roof rack on the top of the car blew open. I had it packed with all of the necessities – tent, sleeping bags, back packs, etc. When I realized what had happened I immediately made my way to the shoulder. As I looked back in my rear view mirror all I remember seeing were helmets bouncing along the highway and towels flying in the wind. IT WAS AMAZING NO DRIVER BEHIND ME WAS HIT BY THE DEBRIS! We were very lucky, as was anyone who happened to be behind me. I quickly bungeed up the canopy and we continued on our way to Mammoth – with hearts pounding. All the while Berk was so engrossed in singing her new camp songs that she did not even realize we had stopped, nor that I had pulled everything out of the rack and literally thrown it in to the back seat with her and the dogs. I love her so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment