
We tried a new ranch this year - The BBB Ranch in Woodland Park, CO. It was a relatively short drive from Mom and Dad’s house in Colorado Springs, but it seemed like light years away. We ended up riding through some beautiful national forest lands – of all things – during a tornado watch! It was quite exciting and a little scary as Berk was allowed to ride on her own horse, Red (a girl of course), WITHOUT a guide rope. She really had to control her horse through some rough terrain, rain and thunder. My horse was of course was right behind Berk and Red. Red was the ring leader and elder stateswoman of the group of horses we were riding. My horse was the youngest male, so Red decided that she would do a little training of my horse while we were on the ride – during the lightening, thunder, rain and wind. We were riding down an incline near some old power poles when out of the blue Red decides to donkey kick my wonderful yearling – right in the FACE! My poor guy jumped about a mile in the air…with me on his back. It was all I could do to keep control over him and stay in the saddle. I felt like I was riding a bucking bronco! The wrangler almost had a heart attack as I think all she saw in front of her was a great big lawsuit after a huge emergency rescue attempt out in the middle of the woods. Bottom line, I surprised myself and everyone else in the group – no bodily harm to anyone or any thing! Yahoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment