Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ride-em Cowgirls!

It’s my brothers 41st birthday, it’s raining cats and dogs, I have sent my brother and his wife on a date…and I now have all three girls to entertain. Movies are out – they have seen everything, games are out – too “boring”, can’t go geo-cashing – we have already done that…so what is a mom to do. I know, how about horseback riding? Done deal, reservations have been made AND Grandma (don’t forget she is 82) is coming too! She does not want to be left behind in any way. (I hope that when I get older I am up for anything at any time, just as she is).

We booked a trail ride through Garden of the Gods – my newly discovered cool place and I have just been informed that Morgan and Sydney (10 and 13) have NEVER been riding before. No time like the present in my world, so off we go. As we check in, the clouds start to gather and in an instant we are in the middle of a steady rain. Thankfully the stable was prepared and they gave everyone a raincoat. Yeah, now we really look like cowgirls!! Morgan and Syd were the first to mount their amazing steeds, Grandma was next (she used the mounting platform), then Berk and finally me. We all made it in to the saddles without accident! We started the ride and all was going well, then out of the blue I hear a scream. Actually an ear-piercing, bone chilling screech that can only be belted out by a girl – its Morgy! Her horse has decided he has had enough (after only 10 minutes) and tried to dump her off by rubbing against a tree and bush. Poor thing, I am too far away to really help, but I try by giving her some instructions about horse “wrangling”. I did a pretty good job too, if only she were calm enough to listen. Thankfully the real wrangler quickly realized what was going on and he rode back to help her. All was good – except we now had a petrified, crying ten-year-old who was doing everything in her power to keep it together in front of her six-year-old cousin. Lord knows, you cannot show fear when every breath you take is being watch by your younger cousin who worships the ground you walk on.

I was so proud of Morgy! She did it! She made it through the ride no worse for wear. The horse tried several more time to toss her off of its back, but she was not going to let that happen! In the end, I think she was really proud of herself. As we walked through the obligatory gift shop after the ride, she and Berk were instantly drawn to these two almost identical Webkin stuffed horses. I could not resist. We bought them and they have been sleeping with them for the past three nights.

Mission Complete! The first ride is now under their belts!

No comments:

Post a Comment